The History of Delph Sailing Club

Delph reservoir was completed in 1924, to provide a 78-acre source of water for domestic/industrial use and to supply extra, cleaner water to improve the River Irwell via Delph Brook.

The Sailing Club in Bolton was founded in 1962 when permission to sail on the water was granted.

The Club started modestly with two preferred dinghy classes – Fireballs and Enterprises. We used a wooden garage as the Clubhouse. This building still exists as storage, now known as the Bosun’s Hut. There was no electricity, and lighting was by bottled gas! A garden shed on stilts served as the race starting box.

Membership grew, and to the original fleets was added a Handicap fleet.

Then grew a Scorpion Fleet (now defunct), Mirror Fleet (now defunct), a Laser Fleet, and more recently the Solos separated from the Handicap Fleet to have fleet status of their own.

The Miracle Fleet evolved in a similar way, also RS200s. The Fast and Slow Handicap Fleets accommodate craft which has insufficient numbers for fleet status.

Current Fleet status now belongs to Lasers, Solos, and Miracles. The Fast Handicap has Phantoms, RS400s, Fireballs etc. And the Slow Handicap to Graduates, Streakers, Byte C2s, Toppers, etc.

Now we also race Radio Controlled Lasers on Wednesdays and Fridays.

If you’re a new member and don’t yet have a dinghy it’s a good idea to think about buying within one of the recognised fleets. That way there is specific help and advice always available.